1. You Can’t Spot-ReduceThis means that you can’t burn fat only from a specific spot on your body. All the sit-ups in the world will not burn the fat from your gut. Body-fat is lost from all over your body and is caused by a caloric deficit, not from activating a certain muscle group.
2. Cardio is ImportantThe key to getting a 6-pack is to burn the fat covering abdominal muscles, not build up the muscle. The way to achieve this is to cause a calorie deficit, which can be achieved by either taking in less calories or using up more calories. HIIT is cardio that effectively burns fat and boosts your metabolism.
3. Abs are made in the kitchenThe key to getting a 6-pack is to cut down on food and lose body fat. Here are our tips:
- Drink water instead of soda or juice–it makes a huge difference!
- Eat 5-6 small meals a day. This helps boost your metabolism and keeps your appetite in check.
- Try to find your calorie maintenance level and gradually decrease 100-200 calories per week until your are shedding about 1-2 pounds a week.
4. Sit-ups are uselessSit-ups are supposed to target the abs but really the hip flexors and spinal erectors are doing the work in the movement. The abdominal are only used isometrically as stabilizers. This means that sit-ups are terrible for your back and do not benefit your abs.
5. Other Exercises To DoHere are effective ab exercises for beginners (instead of the traditional sit-up):
- Crunches – There are many different types, but try to think of it as pulling your bottom rib directly to your hip
- Weighted Crunches – Do normal crunches except hold a plate to your chest
- Hanging Leg Raises – hang from a bar and pull your knees directly to your chest